The eco friendly movement has taken the consumer world and turned it upside down and inside out. We now know how precious Earth’s resources are and how the mere act of how and where we shop plays a role in the larger picture. With that in mind, let’s see what neat products and toys are out there for your beloved pooch. Below are 6 eco friendly products for your pets that you might be interested in.
1. Hemp Collar – hemp is known as a strong fiber and as such this is what makes it an ideal fabric for dog collars and leashes. Whether your pooch is extra large or tiny, a hemp collar is a good product to keep him close while walking and or traveling. Not too mention an eco friendly way to show you care for Mother Earth as well.
2. Organic Treats – there are countless bakeries that have popped up in the last decade that specialize in nothing but treats aimed at dogs. Dog bakeries. These special shops create edible delights for your Fido that have a series of natural and or organic ingredients, each one packed with flavor your dog will love. There are even vegetarian and vegan options available at many dog bakeries.
3. Recycled Fabric Toys – with this idea, Etsy springs to mind as this is the #1 handmade marketplace on the web, and a treasure trove of goodies awaits your faithful companion. Everything from handmade stuffed toys to have sweet dreams at night with to recycled fabric toys to toss or chase around, Etsy has it all and then some. Best bet is to search for your desired type of product and then add eco friendly to the phrase or sustainable, organic, all natural, recycled, upcycled, green, etc.
4. Non-Toxic Flea Treatment – when the Summer weather rolls around and its time to take our pets outdoors with us to the park or beach, flea treatment is essential. Why not give non-toxic flea treatment a try? It’s all natural and contains no harsh chemicals which can irritate your dogs skin and coat, or even eyes. One good brand to try is Fleabusters.
5. Cotton Canvas Dog Bed – your beloved pooch needs a quiet and safe spot to sleep in, along with a soft comfy bed. Dog beds come in a variety of styles, fabrics and sizes. One thing to look for in an eco friendly dog bed is the material used and or the process used. You can try an all cotton canvas bed for your dog, bamboo pet bed or a recycled fabric bed.
6. Solar Dog house – this is the creme de la creme for dog housing. A solar powered abode for the king of the house would make an ideal gift for your pet, you can choose one that has solar panels built-in or get one that has a solar powered fan or a solar powered motor, etc. What dog wouldn’t go crazy over their very own solar powered habitat, to keep them warm in the Winter and cool in the Summer.
There are numerous ways to go green with your pet and numerous products that are eco friendly and or made with the Earth in mind, just takes a bit of digging and looking in the right place. All of the items described above fit the bill. Feel free to list some of your favorite sustainable dog products in the comment area.
This is a guest post written by Missy Diaz who works for Nutre Care. Nutre Care is an online web shop that helps animal loving and socially-conscious owners find pet supplies for their four legged companions.