Remanufactured ink cartridges have been recycled and reprocessed for additional consumer use. An remanufacturing company obtains empty printer cartridges and thoroughly cleans them, replaces any malfunctioning parts, fills them with new ink or toner, and tests to make sure they function properly and are compatible with various types of brand name printers. All different kinds of printer ink can be remanufactured including micr ink and toner. Typically any type of office equipment such as printers, copies, and fax machines that use replaceable ink and toner cartridges should be able to use remanufactured items.
Recycling empty ink cartridges is a simple way for public institutions and government organizations to reduce the environmental impact and save substantial tax dollars, which in turn boosts the economy. In order for an office to be green, it needs green office equipment and remanufactured ink cartridges are considered green due to the many beneficial aspects to the environment.
- Promotes Recycling. Recycling ink and toner cartridges is a process of gathering, sorting, refining, treating, or reconstituting the materials to produce new products. A typical used toner weighs approximately three pounds and about 97 percent of the components can be recycled.
- Reduce the Amount of Waste. Every year, millions of consumers dispose of their empty ink cartridges that end up in a landfill and increasing pollution to the environment. In 2001, over 650 million ink and toner cartridges ended up in a landfill. The materials used in typical ink cartridges are not biodegradable and do not compose so it can last for a very long time in a landfill. Remanufactured ink cartridges significantly help reduce the amount of waste in landfills.
- Protect the Environment From Harmful Toxins. When materials that are not biodegradable sit for long periods of time, they release harmful toxins that can affect plants, water, animals, and humans. Remanufactured ink cartridges recycle and reuse most of the components to reduce the incidence of harmful chemicals leaking into the environment.
- Conservation of Resources. Remanufactured ink cartridges are produced using recycled resources such as aluminum, plastic, steel, and rubber. These recycled supplies help conserve natural resources and raw materials that are needed to make new printer cartridges. For about every kilogram of new material used in remanufacturing processes, five to nine kilograms of raw resources are conserved.
- Conserve Energy. To manufacture a new ink or toner refill, a minimum of three quartz of oil is needed. Remanufactured ink cartridges use a significant lower amount of energy and if one particular cartridge is remanufactured five times, up to 15 quarts of oil can be saved.
- Improve Indoor Air Quality. Inks and toners that are petroleum-based often contain solvents that release harmful organic compounds such as xylenes, styrene, and ethylbenzene. These chemicals can be harmful to the air and cause adverse health effects. Many remanufactured options use soy-based or agri-based ink options to reduce the adverse effects on indoor air quality.
When deciding to purchase remanufactured ink cartridges it is important to find reputable manufacturers to ensure the company is using proper remanufacturing. You may ask if remanufactured ink cartridges will damage your printer and for majority of types of equipment, when installed and used properly a remanufactured ink or toner product will work as efficiently as a brand-new cartridge.