Sleep is a really important part of just about any human being’s day-to-day existence. We all need to make sure that we’re getting a good night’s sleep on a regular basis, otherwise it becomes increasingly hard to do the things that are required of us every single day. One must have ample time to rest and recharge before facing a brand new day full of events, and if there’s something that keeps you from getting enough rest every night, then you might want to do something about it. Snoring can be one of those things that keeps us from getting enough rest. Whether you keep yourself up by snoring or are making your significant other’s life a little bit miserable by being tough to sleep next to, it’s smart to get the problem under control. Luckily, there are some easy and natural remedies to help you stop snoring, and we’re going to talk about five of them now.
1. Weight Loss. It’s no secret that losing weight helps you snore less, but the science behind this fact is pretty interesting. When you’re overweight and out of shape, it’s likely that you’re not exercising so much. As a result, you have weaker muscles in your head and neck, which directly results in snoring when you sleep. If you can get some exercise and shed some weight, your body will naturally stop snoring in a way that might pleasantly surprise you.
2. An Elevated Head. You can also simply try elevating your head when you go to sleep at night. Adjusting the positioning of your head and neck can seriously change the way your breathing works, which is central to solving the snore problem that might be keeping you and/or your family members awake. What’s nice is that this is one of the most simple solutions, and doesn’t really require that you put forth a lot of effort in your quest to stop snoring.
3. Less Alcohol and/or Sedatives. With a bit less depressant intake before you sleep, your body will have a much easier time naturally regulating its breathing, which will result in a lot less snoring on your end. By getting yourself to sleep a bit more naturally, you’ll be able to give yourself much more complete periods of rest.
4. Quit Smoking. Smoking is one of those activities that really doesn’t do your whole breathing situation any favors. Your nasal passages get all messed up when you’re smoking on a regular basis, and if snoring is making your life difficult, you might want to trade those cigarettes for a good night’s sleep.
5. Nasal Irrigation. There are a ton of ways to do this, whether you use a Neti Pot or any other solution. A resource like the snore stop org website can also help you find ways to give yourself some great nasal irrigation before you go to bed. Either way, this will have your nose and throat clear so you can sleep snore-free.