When you are making a list of all the romantic, exciting, adventurous places you might want to get away to this summer, you might want to add “eco” to your list of requirements. In today’s fragile environment, there are a number of vacation getaways and romantic destinations that are both luxurious and eco-friendly. In fact, on all corners of the globe, wherever your heart might take you, the chances are high that you’ll find an eco-resort, lodge or vacation package that matches your “green” desires. Here are the top 5 eco-destinations for green travelers.
- One of the most popular terms in the new, green traveler’s lexicon is “ecotourism.” There are a number of eco-destinations all over the world that offer fun and adventure without the cost of damaging the environment. One of the most popular is the Palawan Islands off the coast of the Philippines. You can stay at a number of the eco-lodges in the Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park that serve food that has been sourced locally and you can learn all about the wildlife. Other places in the world, like Belize and Botswana offer the same type of destinations. For many of these countries, eco-tourism is the lifeblood their economy.
- Another great destination is Etosha National Park in Namibia. There is nothing like getting a first hand view of what true nature is really like. There are few places in the world that are still protected and getting a chance to visit them is a true pleasure. As a getaway, visiting these rare corners of the world will offer a lifetime of stories
- Number three on the list is actually one of the world’s largest oil exporters. However, Norway is one of the greenest countries on the planet. Other countries have pledged to cut carbon emissions by 20%, but Norway has pledged to cut emissions by a whopping 20%. Norway makes a great eco-getaway because of its pristine nature reserves. The mountains offer everything from survival training, to horseback riding and even skiing.
- And if you want to get away, but you want something a little lower key, there are plenty of options in the states that you wouldn’t even think of. If you want to plan a weekend getaway to Illinois, there are plenty of eco-bed-and-breakfasts that are situated away from the hustle and bustle of modern day life. If you want to relax in comfortable, “close to home” style than this might be your best option.
- Lastly, if you really want to take off in green style, you can hop on one of the many eco cruises that will take you to a number of destinations. The best part about these cruises is that they combine green ethics with luxury, to give you a vacation experience like you never experienced before. So, if you like the open seas, visiting exotic lands and shrinking your carbon footprint, an eco cruise might be the perfect getaway for you.