The more we know and do, the better we all will be.



Oct 27

5 Great Eco Lodge Holidays

Here we have put together 5 of the best eco lodges we could find that really embody what It means to go on a green holiday. Self sufficiency is the order of the day, and we have picked 5 great lodges that combine a fun filled holiday with a dedicated, green ethos at heart.

Turtle Island Eco Lodge, Fiji

Turtle Island is located in the Yasawa Island group in the northwest of Fiji and boasts one of the most world renowned eco lodge getaways. All cuisine is caught fresh from the waters of Turtle Island and there is a nightly dinner party hosted from different locations on the island for each night of your stay. Boasting many awards for its insistence on sustainable tourism, Turtle Island has struck a beautiful balance between nature and man, with both coexisting seamlessly on the Island. There are Building, carpentry, and woodworking departments which are responsible for making all furniture on the island, as well as other items for the Gift Shop, so all materials are sourced from the island and nothing is imported. At certain times of the year, guests can take part in the Turtle Release program, which is designed to help save the threatened Green and Hawksbill turtles on the island.

Fiji lodge

Tree House, Green Magic Resort, Kerala

Located 65km from Calcutta, This enchanting jungle hideaway offers a one of a kind experience. Located deep in the Kerala Jungle, The Tree house stands 27m off of the ground and is accessed via bamboo lift which is counterbalanced with water. The Tree houses were designed and built by local craftsmen using local materials and indigenous techniques that have been passed down by the early inhabitants of the area. All the vegetables and fruits in the menu are grown locally in the organic farm, free from any pesticides or chemical manure.

Kerala lodge

Chumbe Island Ecolodge, Tanzania

The Chumbe Island ecolodge is deep rooted in the local community, offering employment opportunities, chances to improve literacy and jobs for women, which is very rare in the region. Chumbe’s 7 bungalows are all self sustaining and come complete with solar lighting, gray water recycling, composting toilets as well as eco showers that use filtered rainwater. The Island also boasts a reef sanctuary and forest reserve, both of which are managed by the staff at the eco lodge.

Tanzania - eco lodge holidays

Chalalan ecolodge, Bolivia

Located in the heart of the Madidi National Park, The Chalalan Ecolodge resides in one of the most biologically diverse areas on the globe. With its Tacana style cabins all built locally from local materials, all cabins come complete with stunning balconies that offer superb views of the Jungle. The lodge is owned by the local community of San jose de Uchupiamonas and was set up to safeguard the local beauty and eco system from outside influences. Environmental features on the site consist of a composting program, water and liquid waste treatment and purification systems, as well as a solar powered lighting and power units.

Bolivia lodge

Monte Rosa Mountain Refuge, Switzerland

Located amongst the Valais Alps at an Altitude of over 2,800km, the stunning Monte Rosa Mountain Refuge is one of Switzerland’s premier eco lodges. . Since it opened its doors to guests in September 2009, visitors have been wowed by the state of the art technology and sustainability on offer. The refuge boasts a ground breaking ecofriendly energy system, allowing it to generate enough electricity to cover 90% of its needs. Photovoltaic panels installed on the south-facing wall collect energy from the sun’s rays. This is then stored in batteries for later use. The remaining 10% of the refuge’s energy needs are covered by a combined heat and power unit running on rapeseed oil and a heat recovery ventilation system. This means that the refuge can remain self-sufficient even during peak consumption periods or during unfavorable weather conditions.

Switzerland lodge

Written By Ellis Green of, a UK Travel company specializing in Last Minute Cruises and Cruises from New York.


  1. Michael Jefferson

    Rather interesting bless you, It looks like your visitors might just want considerably more content such as this continue the excellent content.

  2. Paul

    Tanzania looks absolutely amazing. Going green doesn’t need to mean you are losing the quality rating, some good finds here.

  3. mackay self contained accommodation

    I was very pleased to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Big thanks for the useful info..

Leave a Reply