Remodeling your home can be a huge task albeit one that is very exciting. Whether you are adding an addition onto your home or you are completely renovating a room, the costs of updating your space can be substantial. This article will provide some helpful tips to help you save money on your home remodel.
- Repurpose what you can. There are many ways to save on costs of remodeling your home. A great way to start is to repurpose as many materials or items in your current space and add it to the new space. For example, if you are building an addition onto your home, consider using appliances that you have been using that are still in great condition. Instead of buying a new refrigerator, use the old one and work it into your new decor. If you are interested in a stainless steel refrigerator, purchase material that can stick to your current fridge that also gives a stainless steel appearance. This will save a big chunk of money.
- Rent equipment. When adding an addition or building on to your home, rent equipment instead of purchasing it. For example, if you were to rent a mini excavator from U-Dig, you would save thousands of dollars compared to if you were to outright purchase the equipment.
- Visit your local recycling center. Did you know that you can find some great materials at your local recycling center? If you are in search of a new window for your home, instead of buying brand new from the distributor, check the recycle center first. You could save hundreds of dollars by purchasing a window from the recycle center. Chances are that you will find a window in great condition and it was just being tossed out to replace with something new.
- Do your own demolition. Do your own demolition and you could save a great deal of money. Not to mention, you can carefully go through your home and donate things that do not need to go lay in a landfill forever. Items that can be reused can be donated or taken to a recycling center for reuse. The cost to hire a professional to do your demo for you could cost upwards of a $1000. If you do the demo yourself, you can likely get away with it costing about $500 when you rent a dumpster and pay hauling fees.
- Haul your own trash. If you do not want to pay for hauling fees, consider hauling your trash to the dump yourself. This will take a great deal of manpower and you will also need a large truck or vehicle to transport the garbage. If you do not want to haul your own trash and you do not want to pay the fees to have the trash picked up and hauled away, consider donating items to local charities. Perhaps even call the local Habitat for Humanity and inquire as to if they are in need of any of the items you are throwing away.
There are many ways to save money on your home remodel. All it takes is careful consideration and planning and you will be on your way to saving a great deal of money while taking care of the environment at the same time.