With the increased popularity of solar-powered street lights, the argument has quickly shifted from whether or not solar street lights are necessary to which type of solar-powered street light is the better choice. Before we go further in this argument, let’s reestablish some basics. We know solar street lights are made up of four major parts. They are:
- Lighting fixture
- Solar panel
- Rechargeable battery.
Based on the design structure, there are two types of solar street lights. There is the traditional solar street light featuring fixtures, panels and other accessories that are wired together. Then, there is the all in one solar street light which integrates LED source, die casting cap, solar panel, angle shifter, and PIR motion sensor into the pole.
So you may ask, how is the all in one solar street light better than the traditional street light? To understand that, let’s start by comparing both solar panels.
Comparing Traditional Street light and All in one street light
Type of Battery
While all in one solar street lights use lithium batteries, traditional street lamps are powered by lead-acid batteries. The difference between the two battery types is that lithium charges and discharges about three times as much as lead-acid which means it is more able to deal with irregular discharging than lead-acid batteries. Featuring more cycles than the lead-acid battery, lithium battery also has a longer life span.
Size of Panel
In the traditional solar-powered street lights, you are at liberty to choose your preferred solar panel size. However, the same is not the case for an all in one street light where the solar panel’s size is limited to its light fixture.
Traditional street lights features light sources like High-Pressure Sodium(HPS) which only produces at best an 80 lumens per watt luminous efficacy. However, the LED lighting’s superior technology means the all in one solar street light can produce a high luminous efficacy! It can reach as much as 200 lumens per watt. This means both light sources produce the same brightness. However, the all in one street light consuming as much as 60% less energy.
Installing a traditional solar street light is quite stressful. For starters, you need to dig a pit for the battery and cage. After the battery and cage are mounted, the next step involves installing each street lamp component, one after the other including lighting lamp and other important kits. All in one solar street light doesn’t require too many activities to be installed. There are basically three steps involved in an all in one solar street light installation. They are:
- Digging the cage
- Using screws to fix the lighting box
- Mounting the pole.
The all in one solar lighting kit consists of an LED lamp, solar panel, device controller and battery. These kits are all easy to install on your old or new poles. This means that a traditional street lighting system will cost as much as 60% more than the all in one street light.
Adding on, you’re already convinced about the all in one solar street light click here to find quality all in one street lighting solutions.
So, with the above information in mind, why favor an all in one street light?
- Automatically Switches Off to Recharge: The all in one street light switch off automatically during the day to recharge and turns on when it is night time again. This is not true for automatically street lights.
- All in One Street Light Does More: All in one street light can help illuminates entrances, pathways, parameter even in remote places where it is impossible to wire. That kind of flexibility is the reason more people are choosing it over conventional street lights.
- Cost: As earlier mentioned, an all in one solar street light is 60 percent cheaper compared to the traditional solar street lighting. It saves money on testing, installation, and transportation.
- After-sale Service: The all in one solar street light delivers on the longterm with minimal maintenance. Unlike traditional solar street lights that may need to change batteries every two years, the all in one street light can go 8 years without the need to change batteries. Traditional solar street lights require more after-sale services than the all-in street light.
- Energy Conservation: The LED lighting’s cutting edge technology means the all in one street light consumes 60% less energy compared with the traditional street light whilst producing the same amount of light.
Apart from the above qualities of the all in one solar powered street lighting system, it is also considered to do better in cases of hurricanes. Furthermore, it is made with a more compact structure. The all in one is better equipped to deal with harsh weather conditions. The benefits would almost seem endless. However, this is a true testament of just how much of a better option the all in one solar street light. It is hardly any wonder why more people are choosing it over the conventional solar street lighting systems.