homewater

Warning Signs That Your Drinking Water Is Not Safe

drinking water is not safe

The importance of water cannot be overemphasized. Without water, the human race would cease to exist. The good thing is we have plenty of drinking water.

But here is the problem. A significant portion of the world population has no access to safe and clean water. Water contamination is a big problem. We have even witnessed water scares recently in the US. The good news is that there are telltale signs that can save you and your family from serious water safety risk. Signs that tell if your drinking water is not safe.

Bottle, Mineral Water, Bottle Of Water

Below are some signs that show your water is not safe for drinking. Let’s get started.

Strange Taste 

Ordinarily, water has no taste. Therefore if you notice any smell whether chemical, oil your metallic, your water may be unsafe. Harmful substances such as herbicides, industrial chemicals, medications, and pesticides could be present. Contact a specialist if you notice these signs.

Unusual smell

It is not uncommon for public treatment plants to add chlorine in the water to kill bacteria. However, if the chlorine is too much, you will smell as the water comes from the faucet. Additionally, naturally occurring sulfur will enter into your water and is harmless. 

However, high concentrations of sulfur or chlorine in water can cause adverse health effects such as dehydration and intestinal problems. If your water produces chlorine or sulfur smell then it might be unsafe for consumption. Water with high choline levels also irritates the skins. Water with high sulfur levels has rotten eggs smell. 

Cloudy or coloured Water 

Water should be clear always. Cloudy or colored water may be a warning sign that water is contaminated. A word of caution: Do not drink cloudy or colored water. 

However, do not mistake cloudy water with water bubbles. Sometimes the cloudy appearance is due to harmless substances. However, if the cloudy or foamy appearance does not disappear after some time, you should be concerned. It could be contaminated with bacteria.

Any discoloration or tint is unsafe. Cloudy water is a sign of high mineral concentration levels. For instance excess manganese, iron or rust makes water have a coloured appearance.

Oily Film

A clear indicator that your drinking water is not safe is oily film. Oily film on top of your water could mean that oil or grease has found its way into your water system. Sometimes you may not see an oily film, but you can smell it. 

If you smell oil odor, then that water is contaminated with gasoline compound. When consumed, this water can cause adverse health effects in your body such as gut issues. It is particularly dangerous to pregnant women.

Dirt

Sometimes after opening your water tap, you will notice some dirt, sand, or sediments, especially at the bottom of the sink. While these particles are usually harmless, they are not attractive at all. Water treatments facilities contain filters to remove sediments from drinking water. 

If you notice sediments, then there is an issue with your water. A leak in your water system allows sediment to enter into the water channel. Similarly, contaminants may also find their way to the water. This puts your household into a health risk. The remedy to this problem is investing in the best water filter for well water.

Image result for water filter images

Low-Pressure flow

You may think that this has nothing to do as a sign that your drinking water is not safe. You are absolutely wrong. Reduced water pressure in your kitchen faucets means that your pipes are clogged. Clogging can happen after an extended time of corroding and filling up with the scale. This is a sign that your water could be contaminated.

Water flows from the tap to sink

Stains on fixtures

If you notice stains with a blue-green colour on your fixtures or sinks, your water could be containing copper. If exposed to high copper level, you could develop anaemia. It also causes kidney, liver digestion issues. You can remedy this problem by using reverse osmosis technology.

Conclusion

If you suspect your drinking water is not safe and contaminated, you should stop drinking right away. Some contaminants do not have any smell or taste. You should, therefore, test your water regularly to ascertain its safety. Check information or advisories form government agencies. Also, the tips above will help you stay aware of the right water filters to use. More importantly, know your water sources. Lastly, choose water filtration and purification system that provides the best solution.

Clay Miller
the authorClay Miller
I am the creator/writer of Ways2GoGreen.com and Ways2GoGreenBlog.com. I'm an advocate for oceans, beaches, state parks. I enjoy all things outdoors (e.g. running, golf, gardening, hiking, etc.) I am a graduate of the University of Kentucky (Go Wildcats!!). I'm also a huge fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I was born and raised in the beautiful state of Kentucky.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.