Over the past two years, the use of video conferencing in business spaces has grown to a huge extent. Online meetings and web conferences were already getting popular over the last decade, thanks to the evolving and more accessible technologies in recent times. Ever since the onset of the Coronavirus pandemic across the globe, the need for such technology and medium of communication became even more imminent.
With lockdowns and offices being closed, and the rise of the hybrid workplace and work-from-home cultures, businesses found it important to switch to a medium of communication that could help employees in remote locations collaborate and coordinate with each other face-to-face. This is where video conferencing was found to be ideal by businesses of all kinds and sizes across the globe.
From discussions to document sharing as well as recording online meetings for future references, video conferencing has become an integral part of the workflow of most business operations in 2022. That being said, video conferencing is a broad term which can be classified into different segments. In the next part of this blog, we have discussed the different types of video conferencing and all you need to know about them.
The Five Most Common Types Of Video Conferencing in 2022
Video conferencing is basically a kind of communication technology which helps connect multiple users at any location. People can communicate with the help of integrated audio and video as well as collaborate on shared files and documents through video conferencing. Before we go onto the 5 types of video conferencing most common in today’s time, let’s check out:
The Different Modes Of Video Conferencing
- Point-to-Point (P2P) Video Conferencing: This connects two users and helps them see and hear each other and also exchange documents and links and collaborate on them from different locations.
- Multi-Point Video Conferencing: This type of video conference supports over 25 users on a single conference. The number of participants also depends upon the software being used.
- Role-Based Video Conferencing: This is a specialized form of video conferencing where only certain participants can be viewed and heard by other users. These usually have participants classified as presenters, moderators and passive attendees.
Types of Video Conferencing
- Telepresence Video Conference: This is a video meeting where there are a large number of participants discussing a common topic and communication is done in real time, through different audio and video communication systems.
- Desktop Video Conference: As the name suggests, these video conferences are run with the help of desktops or laptops that have built-in speakers, cameras and microphones.
- Room-Based Video Conference: For this type of video conferences, specialized hardware solutions are installed and configured in conference rooms.
- Multiway Video Conference: Multiway technology enables the simultaneous use of multiple video conferencing systems. Any user on the system can use the MCU network resource during a call.
- Codec Video Conference: Codec is a special technology that is used to compress video to a size that is optimal for video streaming. It enables the conversion of a browser into a video conferencing terminal.
These are the most common types of video conferencing used in today’s time. You will have to choose anyone based on your needs and business workflow.