Anxiety and depression are both difficult emotions. With anxiety, you have a state of inner turmoil and nervousness–which, can be triggered by a variety of factors. In terms of depression, you have a sense of persistent sadness and seem to lose interest in the daily activities of life. Of course, there are many treatments available for both yet it’s always helpful if you can treat them with natural herbs. For instance, Ginkgo Biloba is well-known to boost your mood. In addition, the peony root herb provides and antidepressant-like effect. Keep reading to learn more about 20 herbs which can help treat both anxiety and depression.
The natural approach
Some people with depression and anxiety don’t want to make their symptoms worse by taking prescription medications with potential side effects. Instead, many are turning to natural herbs to help with feeling better and mood elevation. Of course, it is important to discuss your options with a medical professional first. There are also modern treatments like TMS which don’t require you to take medication and have been proven to be very effective. Yet, many herbs are quite beneficial in the recommended amounts. And, you won’t have to induce any harsh chemicals. Plus, many of these helpful herbs are available for purchase without a prescription–which, makes it a lot easier and more convenient.
An alternative to the doctor’s office
Again, some people just don’t like going to the doctor’s office. If you already suffer with anxiety, having to visit a doctor can make it worse. If you already know you have anxiety and/or depression, you don’t need any further tests. In fact, many have found good results after using an anti anxiety or anti depressant herbal complex.
20 herbs to give you control back over your anxiety and depression
1. Ginkgo Biloba is often used as an alternative treatment for anxiety and depression. It essentially helps to improve the blood flow to the brain, which can produce an energizing effect needed to counter the fogginess produced by depression. What’s great about Ginkgo biloba is you can take it either in pill for or drink it as a tea. The suggested amount is around 40 to 80 mg three times a day. On the other hand, you can discuss how often you should take this herb with your doctor.
2. Albizzia Julibrissin Bark (He Huan Pi) is often called the tree of happiness. In fact, in the world of Chinese botanicals, this herb is considered one of the best at relieving anxiety and depression. It is an herb native to Japan, China, Persia, and Korea. If you were to translate He Huan Pi, it means “meet and enjoy bark.” Not only does it have the effect of making you happy, but the Albizzia tree has beautiful flowers and a sweet fragrance.
3. American Gingseng Root (Panax quinquefolius) is often used as a natural cure for depression. It works by elevating energy levels. It also has a therapeutic effect on the adrenal gland, which can help those with anxiety.
4. Ajuga Turkestanica is an herb native to Usbekistan. It has been known to relieve stress and also help with aches and pains.
5. Bacopa monniera is a well-known nootropic, which can help improve memory. When dealing with both stress and anxiety, memory can be an issue since the sadness affects neural activity and memory processing. Bacopa monniera has also been shown to relieve stress.
6. Catuaba Bark is believe to improve vitality and ward off depression with a dopaminergic effect. It is considered an aphrodesiac, which can produce feelings of airiness in those suffering with anxiety or depression.
7. Ceylon Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) is used an an anti-fatigue remedy. Depression can induce more fatigue, while cinnamon is known to put more pep in your step. And, since it is all natural, you know that you are also caring for the environment since you are not increasing chemical population on the earth.
8. Cistanche Stem provides an anti-depressant effect, as well as helping to improve cognitive capabilities. It is also anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory, helping to flush out all the toxins from your body.
9. Cordyceps is a multi-faceted herb which can help with depression and anxiety. It is also known to help fight fatigue, aging, insulin resistance, diabetes, and even tumors. This really is a powerhouse herb.
10. Coriolus Mushroom (Turkey Tail) is on the list since it offers some relief with chronic fatigue syndrome, which can be exacerbated by depression and anxiety. Also, if your depression is induced through medical conditions, turkey tail has been known to have anti-tumor effects and regular ingestion can help to protect against prostate cancer.
As you can see, there are many beneficial–and over-the-counter–herbs you can try to treat anxiety and depression. But, we’re not done yet. Here are 10 more to consider:
- Corni Fructus
- Cuscuta Seed (Tu Si Zi)
- Dang Gui (Tang Kuei) Root
- Deer Velvet Antler
- Dendrobium Stem (shi hu)
- Egyptian Blue Lotus
- (Nymphaea caerulea)
- Peony Root
Millions of people, all over the world, are affected by depression and anxiety. There isn’t a single reason which causes either, but there may be multiple triggering factors stemming from medical conditions to emotional trauma or physical trauma and more. Thankfully, there are many treatments available today. Moreover, you can use the herbs above if you prefer a more natural therapy.